Wednesday 15 October 2014

Top 5 Wednesday: Books I Didn't Expect to Like

Top 5 Wednesday is a meme started by Lainey at Ginger Reads Lainey. Find the list of all the #T5WFamily here.


This weeks topic is:


Top 5 Books I Didn't Expect To Like But Did!


5. The Iron King

I don't like Fey. I don't like reading about them. I think they're horrible creatures. That is I use to. I bought The Iron Fey box set before I went away last year. It was cheap and I'd heard good things, so I thought I'd give it a go. I started it and feel in love. I ended up devouring all six books that were out at the time in four days.

4. The Madman's Daughter

This is a pretty recent read for me. Again, I'd heard a bunch of great things but being the massive pansy I am I thought I would be too scared to get through this book. Obviously I was wrong. The Madman's Daughter is super creepy and very gothic, but it had me so intrigued and invested that I didn't have time to be scared enough to put it down.

3. Vampire Academy

I only binge read this series last summer. Going in I knew how popular it was, but I thought it was just going to be another Twilight. The covers and titles are so cheesy. And c'mon, vampires. Again, I was wrong. Clearly Vampire Academy is nothing like Twilight. It is a thousand times better. It's a series that gets better with each book.

2. Easy

Easy was my first venture into the new adult genre. When I read it early last year I wasn't really sure what this genre was about, but Easy kept being recommended to me, so I figured it would be a good beach read(I was going away when I bought it). I wasn't expecting to like it because I didn't think I liked romance centered novels enough to enjoy it. Clearly I was wrong. Easy is bloody amazing and also started my obsession with new adult.

1. Unravel Me

I very strongly disliked Shatter Me when I read it. And after reading it I had no intention of continuing on with the trilogy. But with Ignite Me about to come out and me being silly and not liking to get spoiled on popular series I went ahead and picked up Unravel Me. What a huge improvement on Shatter Me. I didn't love it but it was a solid 4*. And than Ignite Me was just fantastic(mostly because of Warner).

What books surprised you?

Happy reading!

Brittany

4 comments:

  1. I was unsure over VA as well but then gave it and I am so glad I did. I love the series so much, and I cannot wait for the last Bloodlines book! <3
    I am a bit skeptical over Kagawa. I didn't like her vampires too much, and I dislike fey as well, so I am sort of refusing that series... maybe some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had zero interest in reading Vampire Academy for exactly the reasons you mention but now I'm thinking I should give it a try! Interesting list and just something to think about. I'm not sure I've ever had books that I went into thinking I was going to like but ended up loving though I've had several that went the other way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't expect to like Vampire Academy either, especially since I watched the movie first!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't think I would enjoy Easy either and I ended up absolutely loving it. I got the sequel/companion novel as well but still need to find the time to read it. All of the others are books/series I plan to start, with Shatter Me and The Madman's Daughter being the highest on the list.

    ReplyDelete