Friday 3 October 2014

2014 Favourites Part 3


Check our part 1 here
Check our part 2 here

Am I really making a part 3 already? Like seriously, how is October? This is ridiculous! Anyhow, this is my my favourite books I read between July 1st and September 30th. In this 3 months I read a total 66 books. That's a hell of a lot. *pat self on back* Which brings my total read books as of September 30th to 183. My Goodreads goal is 200. So I should have that made this month.
Looking over this quarter I had some very lovely surprises. Taking out my re-reads my star ratings were pretty much around the 4*. I read some books(than binged that series) that I was surprised to really enjoy. Of course there was also some disappointments. But we'll save that for the end of the year. I just overall had a really enjoyable summer worth of reading. There was also a few of my most anticipated series enders. Those are always bitter sweet.
Some of the books I'm going to mention really won't come as a shock as being my favourites(my favourite authors had some releases this quarter), but I love what I love. And I always pimp out my favourite authors/books as much as I can. Let's just get into it; in no particular order.

Besides Open Road Summer being the perfect summer read, with a perfect summer cover, it's also a perfect read. It has one of the best friendships between two girls that I've read in a YA book. We seriously need more girl love than all the constant girl hating on each other. Speaking of love. Matt Finch, my friends, Matt Finch. What a total babe. Him and Reagan are super adorable together. That is one ship I will go down with for life. Open Road Summer is so many things; fun, funny, cute, and real are just the first things that pop into my brain. Check out my full review here well you order the book.

So I totally binged the On Dublin Street series this quarter. Well I thoroughly enjoyed all of them. Before Jamaica Lane was easily my favourite of the lot. I effing love Liv and Nate so so much. Sure Before Jamaica Lane's uses the over done friends with benefits cliche. But it didn't matter. I was instantly hooked into Liv and Nate's love affair. To start off they are instant bff's and to see their relationship grow from there was kind of endearing. Nate is all over squashing all of Liv's insecurities. Well Liv brings this solid friendship that helps bring Nate out himself. Their sexual tension is as great as their quirky banter, that I just couldn't help falling head over heels in love with these two. Check out my review here.

Oh hey, my queen found herself another spot among my favourites. Ugly Love is a little different from Hoover's other books. It's a bit more mature with bit more sex. In no way does having more sex scenes take away from the power Hoover has over my emotions. In fact they probably just add more feels into the mix. Tate and Miles strike up a friends with benefits type relationship. Although with them hardly being friends before having sex it's a bit of a spin on that trope. Again, Tate and Miles made it easy for me to fall in love with them. As I always say, it's really hard to do a Hoover book justice, they are definitely something everyone just needs to experience for themselves. But just know that I am constantly surprised at how she can mess around with my feelings in a 300 page book. She is my queen. Check out my full review here.

Another shocker, JLA landed another hit with me. Obviously I can't say much, as Opposition is the final book in the Lux series. Series enders are always a scary anticipation for me. You want the series to end perfectly and in the way it should. Thankfully I was beyond happy with Opposition. We come full circle with Daimon and Katy and their future together. Katy is still as snarky, geeky and kick-ass as she was in Obsidian. And Daimon is as hot and swoony as ever. There was a lot to be dealt with in this final installment, and JLA left me completely satisfied. The Lux series is for sure some of the most addictive books I've ever read.  


Losing Hope was something I finally decided to pick up because I really needed a Hoover fix. I was a little weary that I wasn't going to be 100% in love with it since it is essentially a re-telling of Hopeless just from Holder's POV. And sometimes these type of books can just be tedious. But nope. Maybe that's because it had been long enough time since first reading Hopeless that the story wasn't very fresh in my mind. So I was able to enjoy the story all over again because I had forgotten bits. But I also think it had to do with Holder. We not only got his thoughts on meeting Sky and their story. But also his past. And it really made me feel for him in a different way. I think I loved Losing Hope even more than Hopeless. Review of Hopeless

Another series ender. You guys should really know by now that the Elemental series is one of my ultimate faves. So of course I was eagerly anticipating Sacrifice. We were finally, finally getting Michael's POV. My Merrick brother will forever and always be Garbriel. But Michael holds a special place in my heart. The guy has gone through so much. The shit he deals with on a daily basis, most of that coming from his brothers, is not something a normal 22 year old should have to be experiencing. But that's his life and I was so interested to finally have his thoughts on that life. Sacrifice shined Michael in a hole different light for me. And I'm not saying that in a bad way. My heart broke over and over again for him. You guys really, really, really need to check out this series. Kemmerer has done so much right that I can't even handle it. Check out my full review here.

The Madman's Daughter was an absolute surprise for me. I didn't think I would even finish it let alone love it. I am a massive pansy. I don't do anything that will scare me even a little bit. But I needed an audio book and my library had this one available. First off, this is probably the best audio I've listened to. So if you haven't read this book, I 100% recommend going the audio route. This is also the perfect time of year to pick it up. The Madman's Daughter is full of the spookiness and creepiness. Not only did I have strong feelings for the all characters. Shepherd also created a new character in the mysterious island itself. There is so much unknown and scary about the island that that's what ultimately kept me turning the pages. I really tip my hat to Shepherd for bringing out this unknown and new love for gothic horror. Maybe I can deal with some scary shit. Well as long as I have my night light and teddy. Check out my full review here

I really don't think I need to say much on why Heir of Fire has made it into my favourites. I read Throne of Glass before it was cool. I feel in love with Celaena, Chaol and Dorian from the moment I opened the book. Crown of Midnight was easily my favourite read of 2013 and Heir of Fire might just make it to that spot too. Heir of Fire is different than the first two books in that I found it to be very heavy on the character development. Which I love! And it needed to be that way. I really really needed to know more about Celaena's past. Plus the new characters introduced, perfection. The ending is a killer(shocker) and will make waiting until the 4th book the longest year ever. Check out my review here.

I read and destroyed myself over my first Moyes book last year. Since than I have made it mission to read all the books. One Plus One is definitely one her less emotional reads(of the ones I've read so far). It stills packs a bunch and sends a really positive message. But I didn't feel like I would crumble with every turn of the page. Which is another positive. Moyes just knows how to write such a wide range of characters. She gets you fully immersed in their lives. As frustrating as Ed and Jess could be at points throughout the book, it's what made them real. They've both made mistakes and choices that lead them down a road that makes them human. Nicky and Tanzie are both super endearing kids. I was hooked from page 1. Another heart warming hit from Moyes. Check out my full review here.

This should really come as no surprise. I effing loved Stay With Me. JLA is my queen. My dealer. My everything. Honestly how this women publishes a book a month and can still write pure gold like this flabbergasts me. There was not a single thing, nothing at all that was not perfect in this book. And guys, you need to meet, Jax. Good God does JLA know how to write fictional men. If anyone has given me unrealistic expectations about men and love, it's her. What I really loved about Calla, was that even though she was a bit naive when it came to, Jax and relationships(she totally didn't get it sometimes), she made up for it in not keeping things to herself. When her life was in danger she didn't stay quite and figure she could handle it herself(spoiler: they never can), she opened her mouth and told, Jax. Besides, Jax being a totally hottie, he was also nice and straight forward. He was totally upfront with, Calla with how he saw her. *sigh* Calla and Jax, are another ship I will go down with. Super intense and hot together well still being totally adorable. Check out my review here.

I just want to give a honorable mention to the Clipped Wings books. What a hidden gem. They are some fantastic NA. I will be pushing them on all my NA reader friends. *nudge nudge* Samantha *nudge nudge* ;) 

What have been your favourite reads this summer?

Happy reading!

Brittany


3 comments:

  1. I love this post, what a fun idea to break down your faves! Love that Heir is on there, you are right, so good!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many books I want to try! Samantha Young is on my TBR as well as The Madman's Daughter and One Plus One and I haven't read anything negative about Hoover's books. Great list! Sounds like you had some good reading this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "It has one of the best friendships between two girls that I've read in a YA book" - completely agree!! That's the main reason why I loved ORS. So many YA books get caught up in romance and forget friendship.

    Glad to hear that Heir of Fire is one of your favorites! I loved Crown of Midnight, but I keep putting off the third book...I've heard it has a few heartbreaking moments!

    Great post :D

    ReplyDelete