Thursday 29 May 2014

Miniviews # 10: Burn for Burn & We Were Liars

Burn for Burn by Jenny Han & Siobhan Vivian
Publication Date: April 24th, 2012
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Pages: 358
Series: Burn for Burn
Source: Purchased
Rating: 4/5
This book is all about the revenge with the stereotypical high school drama thrown in. I'm not a big one for revenge books but Burn for Burn is pretty engrossing and fast paced that it kept me flipping the pages. I pretty much read it in one sitting. We're given three different POV's; Lillia, the popular princess type, Kat, the outcast but I don't give a shit type and Mary, the shy new girl. Obviously all very different girls who's social standing wouldn't normally see them interacting. But a few chance encounters bring them together. All three are angry and out to spread their wraith on these unsuspecting school mates.
Each girl has a very different and distinct voice.  I may not have been a massive fan of Lillia but it didn't stop me from speeding through her chapters just as fast as the Kat and Mary's. Each girl has a person their revenge plan is targeted at and you really do hate that person for what they've done to whichever girl. But as the story goes on and there's more interactions between the different girls with their target you start to doubt their reasoning for getting revenge. Or maybe it was just me and being easily swayed based on actions. Hell I changed my mind constantly on whether the revenge was warranted or not.
I think fans of Mean Girls will find this right up their alley. With the added bonus of a hint of magical realism that I'm hoping will make more of an appearance in the sequel.


We Were Liars by E.Lockhart
Publication Date: May 13th, 2014
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Pages: 227
Source: Purchased
Rating: 4/5
The hype surrounding this book was unreal. All the bloggers and authors that read it early made it seem like they were part of this secret society. They knew the ending and reading this book was going to blow readers minds and well of course I needed to have my mind blown open. Although I don't think We Were Liars is the best book I've ever read, but I was pretty shocked when the truth and ending was revealed.
Our narrator is Cady. Oldest Sinclair grandchild and heiress to the the Sinclair fortune. Cady is trying to piece together a mystery from two summers ago. A mystery involving her. All she remembers is being found washed up on the shore of her families island estate in her underwear. Now Cady's having flashbacks to previous summers spent on her families private island with her family and more importantly her two cousins, Johnny and Mirren and their friend Gat. The Liars. The Liars were inseparable. Their friendship and love is endearing. As their family starts to fall apart around them, they begin to grow and form their own opinions on what is right. The Sinclair family is all about appearance and some of the family mottos include pretending everything is alright. Well for all of this book, nothing is alright.
Because of Cady's head injury she is a very unreliable narrator. You never know when to trust her. But that's what makes this story so raw and touching. Cady's life has fallen so far down that when she suddenly has a memory of her and the rest of The Liars you get a small thought that everything might be okay.
Lockhart's writing is bloody fantastic. It's full of beauty and prose. It's deep and gives you all the feels. I am now collecting all her previous books. I needs them all!

Happy reading!

Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment