Wednesday 29 January 2014

Miniviews #1:The Hollow, Tiger Lily, Hopeless and The Collector

The Hollow(The Hollow #1) by Jessica Verday
Publication Date: January 1st, 2009
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pages: 509
Series: The Hollow
Source: Purchased
Rating: 2/5
Oh, how the premise had me excited. But this one just ended up lacking in almost everything; plot, dialogue, emotions, character development. It's very reminiscent of the Twilight era and I(embarrassingly) probably would have rated it a lot higher if I had read it back then. Abbey is another Bella Swan. And add in super cheesy dialogue and a "dead" love interest and it's Twilight in another setting. The only reason I gave this one a 2/5 is because of that ending. It was actually pretty realistic in how I would imagine someone acting when finding out about these supernatural beings around them.


Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson
Publication Date: July 3rd, 2012
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 292
Source: Purchased
Rating: 4/5
I know the story of Peter Pan, well Disney's version. I've tried to read the original book but I couldn't finish it. Peter Pan is just such an awful person. So I didn't know if I would actually enjoy this one. Turns out I sure as hell did. I really like that the narrative is from Tinks POV. I think that's what ultimately made me love this book. Tiger Lily is quite unlikeable, she does some awful things out of jealousy when Wendy shows up. But she and Peter's relationship before that is pretty stormy. They fight and make-up. A lot. Like with the original, this story is also pretty dark. But it hits you right in the feels. As with Tinker Bell, you feel for Tiger Lily on every page. This book is obviously a sign of great things to come from Anderson in the future.

Hopeless(Hopeless #1) by Colleen Hoover
Publication Date: December 17th, 2012
Publisher: Self Published
Pages: 488
Series: Hopeless
Source: Kindle version purchased
Rating: 5/5
So this was my 4th Hoover book I read last year. And easily my favourite of the 4. She's also made herself onto my auto-read and auto-buy lists. Gold star Colleen! What I've realized is that Hoover knows how to pull you in and captivate her reader from page one. Sky and Holder's first meeting is bizarre and you want to know why. Then you want to know what really went on in Sky's past that she can't remember. And what the hell Holder is keeping from her. And now you are so deeply in love with the characters that when you get punched in the heart you hate Hoover just a little bit. For me, Hoover and Sorensen are queens of the NA world!

The Collector(Dante Walker #1) by Victoria Scott
Publication Date: April 2nd, 2013
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Pages: 352
Series: Dante Walker
Source: Purchased
Rating: 4/5
Oh, Dante Walker, you cocky bastard, how I've fallen for your wit and charm. I'll admit, this book is not going to be for everyone based solely on our wonderful narrator, Dante. He's an ass. He's deeply in love with himself and can be quite rude or put on the full charm when needed. But I love him for all those quirks. A number of times I LOL'd, well I don't even know. Seriously just go look up some quotes from this book. DO IT! Scott's writing and dialogue is spot on. You know what kind of person Dante is from the start. And when he meets Charlie, who is just pure nice down to her core, and she starts to point out the good traits within Dante. A little bit of his softer side starts to make an appearance.
Scott has created a different take on the whole Angels/Fallen Angels craze. You've still got people like Dante working for The Boss Man(hell) and people working for The Big Man(Heaven) but in a whole different way. So if you like your fallen Angel books and you want something with a different sort of narration(meaning you want to laugh and roll your eyes(in a good way)) then pick this one up. And you won't have to wait long for the last book to come out in the spring.
I tip my hat to you Scott for bringing Mr. Dante Walker into my life. 




So this is just a series I've decided to start for a few reasons. One being I seem to have a problem getting reviews done this time of year and secondly, I read a lot of books that I don't have enough to say for a full review but I do have a something to say.
I hope some of this mini-reviews can help sway you one way or another.

Happy reading!

Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment