Wednesday 23 October 2013

Review: Allegiant (Divergent #3) by Veronica Roth

Allegiant by Veronica Roth


Publication Date:
October 22nd, 2013
Publisher: HarperCollins
Pages: 544
Series: Divergent
Source: Purchased
Rating: 5/5
Add to Goodreads

One choice will define you.

What if your whole world was a lie?
What if a single revelation-like a single choice-changed everything?
What if love and loyalty made you do things you never expected?


The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered-fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she's know, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties and painful memories.

But Tris's new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature-and of herself-while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice and love. 


Allegiant Day has come and gone. Something that I've been waiting a year and half for. And now I'm an emotional wreck. A book has not done this to me since Deathly Hallows. I closed the book, curled into the fetal position and cried. Got a few hours of sleep, opened my eyes and cried some more. Anyone who knows me, knows that I'm not a very emotional person. So the fact that V.Roth has this power over me is a little alarming. But also proves what an engaging writer she is. It is so easy to fly through this trilogy. She keeps you turning pages. I became very invested in the lives of these characters. I felt everything they felt. And as I'm sure any book nerd would agree with me on (whether with this series or another), they are my friends. I cared so much about them.
                                                    


Allegiant is easily one of the strongest finishes to a series I've read. V.Roth was not afraid to take risks. Some of those risks may have shattered my heart into a million pieces, but in the end I agree that those moments were right for the story.
I've seen quite a few people say Allegiant was too preachy. I don't feel that way. Ultimately a lot of actions and decisions made came down to what is logical versus what is right. And for me the underlining themes are the same for both. Bravery. Love. Sacrifices. You don't have to be organizing a revolution for any of those themes to come into your day to day life. So I don't understand how an author reminding you to be brave, to love wholly or to know that everyone has to make sacrifices is a bad thing. Especially when you're getting such powerful words from such strong characters as Tris and Tobias.
                                                   
Which brings me to the dual POV. I was so excited when I learned we would be getting Tobias's voice too. I knew going in that Tris and Tobias would have separate journeys they would need to be on. Both equally as important. Both needing to be explored. Or even when they are together Tobias would offer a different voice to that situation. Which lead true on all accounts.
Tris is very straight forward and to the point. Whereas Tobias is more poetic and descriptive. They both add very distinct voices to the story. And in Allegiant both are very much needed. Once you come to the end of the book, you'll understand why.
                                                     
Tris did a lot of growing throughout Divergent and Insurgent. So when it came to Allegiant she is at her strongest. She knows what's most important to her. And she knew what it would take to get there. She's brave, wise and selfless. She also comes to an understanding with her past, her family, the world they're living in. Which made her a reliable person. She knew what was right and wrong. It stopped her from making such rash decisions that she had in the past books. Although I do feel it also made her a kind of patronizing when she was telling someone she is right and they should do what she says or should have done what she said. It made me mad in those conversations, but I also soon realized she's still 16. A teenager. They always think they're right. I know I did. And I definitely would point it out when I was. So I thought it was good to be reminded of her age once and awhile. She's still a kick ass heroine till the end!

Tobias surprised me a little. Being in his head you quickly come to realize some of his vulnerabilities that didn't stand out in Tris's mind. He's broken, damaged and obsessive (who else by Four would continually enter their dream landscapes?). And that all comes down to his childhood and the lack of parental love. He just wants to feel love and give his love in return. When Tris came into his life and helped shaped him into a more softer, emotional man. He needed that. He still fights against that darkness inside him. But he finally had love in his life. He's still strong and can show no mercy when needed. But he also found someone he wants to protect. Unfortunately some decisions he made whether because he thought they were right or out of protectiveness for Tris lead to difficult outcomes and broke my heart. But it also showed that he has flaws. No ones perfect and every choice has an outcome. Not all of them will be good. I just love Tobias so much. For me he is a complete character with strengths and flaws.

One of the things I love most about this trilogy is Tris's and Tobias's relationship. It's very dynamic with ups and downs. Which made it very real. A relationship is never going to be all rainbows and butterflies. Especially not in the situation they are in. There was trust issues, lies, disagreements. But they also fought for each other. Made each other better people. And just loved fully. Allegiant had a lot of cute moments between them. But also a lot of heart wrenching moments. This quote about sums it up for me.

"I fell in love with him. But I don’t just stay with him by default as if there’s no one else available to me. I stay with him because I choose to, every day that I wake up, every day that we fight or lie to each other or disappoint each other. I choose him over and over again, and he chooses me.”


I will mention to also be prepared for a lot of info dumping at the beginning. It's a lot to take in. A little confusing. But necessary. And it will all make sense in no time.

The Divergent trilogy and especially Allegiant is heroic, complex and heart breaking. As well as touching on so many important topics about humanity, individuality and choices. It is a trilogy I will come back to again and again. Somewhere where I will find comfort and old friends. And many, many feels.

"Since I was young, I have always known this: Life damages us, every one. We can't escape that damage. But now, I am also learning this: We can be mended. We mend each other."


Thank you Veronica Roth. I cannot wait to see what you come up with next.

And now back to the safety of my bed where I hopefully won't eat my feelings.
                                                  


Be Brave.

Brittany

**I realize this review might not be fully coherent. I wanted to keep any spoilers out and just stick with the facts. But my emotions are seriously all over the place. I might write up a discussion post when I've had more time to process everything.**

1 comment:

  1. "คาสิโนออนไลน์> NP Black Version"
    "แทงบอล ออนไลน์ แทงสเต็ป> แทงบอล ออนไลน์มือถือ"

    ReplyDelete