Saturday 11 July 2015

Weekly Wrap-Up July 4th-10th


So I managed to read five books this week. Well one was a graphic novel and another a novella. But they still count in their own way. I was really taking my time reading Six of Crows. Anyhow, four were physical books and one was an e-book.

A Million Miles Away by Lara Avery **
Find the review here.

Rat Queens Vol 2: The Far Reaching Tentacles of N'rygoth by Kurtis J. Wiebe *****
I loveeeee this graphic novel series. It's hilarious and totally kick-ass. Seriously full of a great cast of females. No gender stereotypes here. Cannot wait for the third volume.

Redshirts by John Scalzi *****
I'm not sure if you guys are aware of my love for Star Trek. Either way I love it. I grew up on TNG and the movies and my love of it continued to grow from there. So just know when I saw this is the perfect book for Trekkies it's the truth. Redshirts is blood brilliant. I love how the red shirts start to fight back(in their own way). The plot is so so so clever and hilarious. I was surprised where it went. Surprised in a very good way. And just when I thought the story was over Scalzi was able to bring it in a complete circle. Just brilliant. Plus the witty and great cast of characters just made my life. I'm so eager to check out more of Scalzi's books.

Just One Taste(Pine Mountain #4.5) by Kimberly Kincaid ***
I saw Katherine post a review for this and she said it was about an ex-marine. I love that romance trope. So onto Netgalley I went. As this is just a novella it doesn't offer a lot in the way of plot or character development. But it did give a good taste of Kincaid's writing(since this is my first book of hers). Which I enjoyed. Just One Taste is a sweet romance about realizing you are worth love. Sweet is really all I can say. Since this was a novella I didn't have the time to get fully invested in the couple. But I still enjoyed it and am looking forward to checking out more books from this series.

Six of Crows(Six of Crows #1) by Leigh Bardugo *****
I can't say much right now. My review will go up in late September. But Ahhhh!!! I missed Strumhond and The Darkling. But it doesn't matter because this book is even better than The Grisha Trilogy. The plot, the characters, the writing, everything is more than on point. 



What did you guys read this week?

Happy reading!

Brittany

5 comments:

  1. It's great to hear that Six Of Crows is living up to the huge hype, can't wait to read it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed Just One Taste and glad you did too! It's hard to really love a novella but it definitely made me want to read more of the series. Red Shirts looks pretty entertaining and what a great plot concept! Looks like you enjoyed Six of Crows. I know literally nothing about it but I'll be interested in seeing your review for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was told about the Red Shirts book back when I first starting watching the Original Series (unfortunately, I never finished). But it looks like a fun read so I might have to check that out. :)

    I have a question regarding Six of Crows. Do you have to read her trilogy first?

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES!!! Happy to hear that Six of Crows is better than the Grisha trilogy. I thought they were okay, but I didn't end up loving them. I am very excited for Six of Crows though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seriously need to read Six of Crows right now. And you are so right - Witch Hunter is AMAZING!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete