Wednesday 1 July 2015

2015 Favourites Part 2

 Find Part 1 here.

I cannot believe I'm already doing Part 2. Like we are now half way through 2015. Where is life going? I guess this makes you Christmas fanatics happy. Ugh.

As of July 1st I have read 140 books. Which means between April 1st and June 30th I've read 80 books. Obviously I am so happy with that number. As per my Goodreads goal I am 52 books ahead of schedule. Probably time to up that. I've actually only had one definite DNF. There's one I'm not sure if I'm going to give it more time. But as of right now I'm still "currently reading it". I've also done some decent re-reading. I've re-read seven books. You guys know how much I love to re-read. I wish I could fit in more.(re-reads do not count in my favourites). As far as my reading, I've read a hell of a lot of great books these past three months. Cutting this list down to my standard ten(ish) is impossible. A lot will be romance and NA as this has been my reading year in a nut shell. But no matter what genre I've been favouring, I've just been reading soooo many good books. It's so refreshing and makes it easier to read a lot.



Here are my most favourite parts from this past quarter.

Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli
Simon is probably my most favourite read of the year so far. It's really hard to not think about this book and just become really happy. I continually gush about Simon and there's a very good reason; it deserves it. Not only is it adorable and super cute, but the underlining topics of Simon being not yet out of the closet gay and a bit of bullying is done so so well. Albertalli really brought out the hope that not everyone is going to take you down for being yourself.

Fuel the Fire(Addicted #3.1, Calloway Sisters #3) by Krista & Becca Ritchie
I binge read all currently published books in this romance series(eight books at the moment) in like four days. As per the series name, they are seriously addictive. I loved all the books but Fuel the Fire really stood out for me. My love for Rose and Connor is as intense as their relationship. They are both so complex and intelligent. But the story itself is beautiful. Talk about feels. Connor's past is brought into the spotlight and it was hard to read. But also how Rose and the gang stood by him was empowering. As well Connor's attitude and thoughts were perfection. This hashtag is entirely appropriate here. #LoveWins

Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman
I definitely recommend giving yourself time to read Challenger Deep. It is a book that took me two weeks to read. Not only did I want to give it my undivided attention, but I also had to make time to digest what I was reading. I took something away from Challenger Deep. Learned something powerful. Caden was a great voice to help me empathize and realize just how encompassing the mind can be, even when we know somethings off. Shusterman provided a very real look at mental illness through Caden. Full review here.

Rites of Passage by Joy N. Hensley
Never has a book made me feel so out of shape and sluggish. I had this one on audio and would listen to it well running and I just kept thinking this isn't enough. Such a good book though! Sam is the epitome of a kick ass girl. Not only could she out last and out perform most of the guys, she had a strong attitude too. Mentioning rage, this book! I cannot believe how much a man's club the military still is. Sam was one of the first girls to attend this military school and she was treated like absolute shit by 90% of them. Sam never let that get her down. She just used it to fuel her desire to show them up even more. The romance is far from the focus here, but of my heart. I sooo needed that ship to sale. Talk about tension. I also don't think I've need a sequel(that probably won't ever happen) to be in the works. A NA sequel would be perfection!

Black Iris by Leah Raeder
Black Iris was a very highly anticipated release for me. As dark as Unteachable was, I loved it. Black Iris is even darker. It's unapologetic and a complete mind fuck. I know this isn't going to be a book for everyone. But I honestly don't know the last time I've been so intrigued and completely on the edge of my seat. Black Iris is a dark, romantic thriller. It's all over the place. Laney, the MC, is ruthless, raw, complex and flawed. She states right away that she is not the heroine of the story. And that could not be truer. Talk about an unreliable narrator. Even though there was no way to guess where the story was going, I loved where Raeder took the story. She never held back. Her writing is hauntingly beautiful. And you can tell she is showing herself through her writing. I cannot recommend Black Iris enough if you want something so outside the box, screws with your mind, but also brings serious topics like bullying and sexuality into the forefront.

Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen
Again, another slam dunk for Dessen. I really believe she has her priorities straight. I've never been able to start and put down one of her books before the last page. The focus on complex and dynamic family relationships will speak to any reader. Like with Saint Anything the romance is there, and I loved how once the couple got together it was solid. But it wasn't the point. The friendship with Layla was important and Sydney was able to recognize Layla came first. As well as Sydney finding her voice and coming out her shell. Making herself and her parents realize she's just as important and part of the family as Peyton. Dessen did a fantastic job conveying all of that in her signature style. Full review here.

The Fill-In Boyfriend by Kasie West
The Fill-In Boyfriend is an excellent lazy Sunday afternoon read. It's light, quick and fun. With so much great banter filled moments that I started it and there was no way I was putting it down until I was done. I was fully invested in Gia's life. I couldn't wait until her and fill-in Bradley finally got to that aww moment. Or when she finally stood up to her family.Gia was a really solid character that proves that sometimes you really do need that person(people) to come into your life and say be yourself, do what you want to do. Full review here.

Something Real by Heather Demetrios
If you'll remember I'll Meet You There was in Part 1. It'll easily be in my top three reads of the year. Something Real was just as fantastic. Demetrios has easily solidified herself as a favourite author of mine now. And that's only after two books. Something Real is a true coming of age story. It brings to light our obsession with any kind of celebrity. As well dealing with some serious family issues and dynamics. I loved so many of the characters. I find a new favourite book boyfriend in Patrick. And I wanted to be Chloe's best friend. Full review here

Nimona by Noelle Stevenson
This graphic novel is everything. The humour and wit just add to a really brilliant story. I love Nimona and her character arc. The way it was developed was phenomenal. This book made me realize that I really don't read much antihero stories. Nimona's boss, Blackheart is the villain, except he is way to moral to actually pull of being a bad villain. I loved that part. And his relationship/history with Sir Goldenloin kept hinting and the hints made me super excited. I am so hoping that there is more Nimona to come in the future. There is so much more that can be explored with these characters and world.

Things We Know by Heart by Jessi Kirby
Fantastic. You know going in that it's going to be a really sad and heart breaking start. So I was kind of prepared. I think Kirby did a really good job showing how we deal with loss. Quinn was still finding it hard to let go, even though more than a year had passed. I loved her journey to figuring out how to do that. Colton was a big part in that. The romance was so super sweet. Colton was such a good guy(new book boyfriend alert). Although the story was predictable it didn't take away from the emotional journey I experienced in just 300 pages.

Moonlight on Nightingale Way(On Dublin Street #6) by Samantha Young
This book is bitter sweet as it's the ending to one of my favourite romance series. At least Young went out on a high note. As far as Young's couples go no one can beat my love for Nate and Liv. That doesn't mean Logan and Grace didn't give them a run for their money. The sexual tension was dripping off the page. It was effing hot. But that's not what made this the book it is. The story was my favourite from the On Dublin Street series. The addition of Mia(you'll have to read to find out who she is) added such a fun and dynamic element to the plot. Plus I always love how Young weaves all the previous characters in the new book. It's my favourite part.

The Wrath and the Dawn(The Wrath and the Dawn #1) by Renee Ahdieh
All the stars. Take all the stars! This is gorgeous. Beautiful. Wonderful. Brilliant. The Wrath and the Dawn is everything. It's one of those books where I love it so much but don't have the words to convey that love properly. Everyone needs to read it and discover how uniquely beautiful everything in this book is. Writing, story, characters are on point. And the romance, HOLY! Can I use breathtaking? I'm going to use breathtaking. I really can't form the proper words here. Just the development of Shazi and Khalid's relationship gave me every feel. Bad decisions were made but those bad decisions made Brittany very very happy. Because they lead to one of the best romances I've read. One of the best books I've ever read. 

At Any Moment(Gaming the System #3) by Brenna Aubrey
I just binged the first four books in this series. The first three being about Mia and Adam. And although I loved the first two. At Any Moment is the clear stand out. What a change in ton this one took. My eyes were constantly red. But I was so impressed with how everything was dealt with. The emotions and actions of Mia and Adam were 100% realistic. Obviously I was so sad for Mia. But Adam really impressed me. He didn't try and take advantage of the situation. He didn't let his emotions run his motives. He put Mia first and than was true enough to realize that love doesn't fix everything. You have to work on yourself and be the best you can be before you can do the same for your partner. Just absolutely loved this finale to Mia and Adam's story. So much. 



Have you guys read any of these? Any favourites of yours too?

Happy reading!

Brittany

4 comments:

  1. Seriously?? 140 books? I have total book envy. Very impressive! You have me wanting to read Samantha Young and I want to try Fill In Boyfriend. It looks really fun. Looks like you've had some great reads in that 140 and seriously I'm green with envy right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Challenger Deep and The Wrath and the Dawn are on my need to read really soon list!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOW DO YOU READ SO MUCH?!?! Seriously... I AM IMPRESSED! Between working, sleeping and trying to have some semblance of a social life, I find it so hard to find time to read. I am on 69 books at the moment, and laughing at the number, and that seems impressive to me.

    I have read a few of these myself and really enjoyed them. I still need to read Challenger Deep though, I really want to love that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 140 books already? WOW! I'm struggling with 150 in a year! Never mind double that. You are a machine!
    Simon is just super adorable <333 I'll always get a stupid smile when I think of Simon and Blue. I can't wait to read Saint Anything and The Fill In Boyfriend. Dessen and West are must reads for summer. I'll need to pick up Things We Know By Heart & The Wrath and the Dawn soon because they both sound amazing! And I'll definitely grab the rest of the Gaming the System series at some point.

    You're going to have a hard time picking your all time favourite at the end of the year!

    ReplyDelete