Monday 30 December 2013

My 2013 Reading Disappointments

So no one goes into a booking knowing they're going to hate it. At least for me, every book I pick up and start reading is because I want to(well in my adult life it is). I'm wanting this book to blow my socks off. But unfortunately not every book will.
According to my GoodReads stats I had a very good reading year. A good percentage of the 191 books I read this year I rated four star or higher. In fact I only rated 43 books three star or less.
So that means there were some disappointments for me. :(
Here are the ones that were the biggest let downs for me. I really thought I was going to enjoy them, but not so much.

1. Let's just get this one star over with first. It honestly doesn't even deserve that star. I actually did somewhat enjoy The Selection. But good God what a freakin' mess The Elite was. Obviously I don't have anything nice to say about it. But if you want to enjoy my review, here it is.


2. The most overly-hyped book of 2013, The 5th Wave. And I did fall for it. I read this pretty much as soon as it was released. Then I started to see all the gushing for it spreading around the book communities and I was confused. Did I get a different book then everyone else? Unfortunately not. The 5th Wave just didn't gel with me. There were bits of the story I enjoyed, mostly Cassie's parts. But for the most part I was bored. The 5th Wave ended up with two stars from me.


3. I finally got around to reading Shatter Me a few months ago and of course I was expecting something amazing because there's so much hype for it. But nope, I strongly disliked this one. The writing was my biggest annoyance. Then on top of that you have the awful Juliette. God she was annoying. And Adam, I also have nothing nice to say about him. Unfortunately Shatter Me earned at two star from me.


4. Oh Kingdom Keepers Dark Passage(#6) how much you disappointed me. I thoroughly enjoy this series. It's based in Disney World and now beyond and it's action packed. Except for this one. This one had no plot. At all. It was just a continuous chase with no ending. And then an unnecessary death. Another two star.


5. This was my first Gaiman book. And it was weird. Maybe it's because I just didn't get The Ocean at the End of the Lane. I just didn't really like it. The good thing is it hasn't detoured me from wanting to pick up another of his books. Another two star for me.


6. I was actually quite excited for The Coldest Girl in Coldtown. Obviously it turned out I was a little let down. I just found it a very slow read. And wasn't really impressed with any of the characters. But there were some parts of the story I enjoyed. In the end this one ended as another two star for me.


7. Yea, with 172 Hours on the Moon I was looking for something that I thought it was promising me and just didn't deliver. I'm just going to link my review up here. Again, another two star.


8. The Girl of Fire and Thorns did receive a three star from me and the reason I'm including it in this post is because I just kept hearing about how amazing and epic this fantasy trilogy was. Unfortunately I didn't find that it was. Especially not in this here first book(the trilogy did massively get better in the next two books though). It was quite slow going. But in the end I'm glad I continued on with the trilogy. I do have a review up on here if you want to check it out.


So how about for you guys? Any books you read this year that you were maybe super excited for but just ended up letting you down? Let me know below!

Happy reading!

Brittany

1 comment:

  1. You didn't like 5th Wave?? OMG that sucks so bad. I haven't read it yet but gifted it to my boss so hope she will end up liking it lol I did hear that Coldest Girl in Town was disappointing and not really sure why everyone was raving about it. Hope it'll be better in 2014!

    ReplyDelete