Saturday 7 November 2015

Weekly Wrap-Up October 31st-November 6th


So I managed to finish eight books this week. Two being e-books. Six being physical books; two of them ARCs  and one a re-read.


Slasher Girls & Monster Boys by various YA authors **
I'm not the best with short stories as it's hard to get into them. Which makes it hard to enjoy them. But I always have good intentions going into an anthology. This was overall pretty terrible. Some of favourite authors even disappointed me. Here's a break down; 
Nova Ren Suma: The Birds of Azalea Street 3.5*
Carrie Ryan: In the Forest Dark and Deep 4*
Cat Winters: Emmeline 3*
Leigh Bardugo: Verse Chorus Verse 2*
Megan Shepherd: Hide-and-Seek 4*
Danielle Paige: The Dark, Scary Parts and All 2*
April Genevieve Tucholke: The Flicker, The Fingers, The Beat, The Sigh 3*
Jonathan Marberry: Fat Girl With a Knife 1*
Jay Kristoff: Sleepless 3.5*
Stefan Bachmann: M 1*
Marie Lu: The Girl Without A Face 1.5*
McCormick Templeman: A Girl Who Dreamed of Snow 2*
A.G. Howard: Stitches 2.5*
Kendare Blake: On the I-5 3*


Coming in From the Cold(Gravity #1) by Sarina Bowen ***
This is a quick alright romance. It'd be good for a cold and snowy night. But it's not one I'd really recommend. The characters and story line is pretty cliche and cheesy. I definitely was not surprised by either "twist". But overall enjoyable and if the second book is free on Kindle at some point than I'll definitely one-click.


November 9 by Colleen Hoover *****
Review to come.


The Anatomical Shape of A Heart by Jenn Bennett *****
Full review here.


Leveled(Saints of Denver #0.5) by Jay Crownover *****
It's one of the best surprises when one of your favourite authors announces a surprise release of a new book. Which is what happened here; about two books before said release. And even more exciting, it is a M/M romance. I know I'm not alone in getting a story on Lando, he definitely deserves a HEA. But for me I wanted to know him better. And the same for Dom. Both guys had a lot to work through. Crownover did this romance so well(as expected, she's yet to let me down). But what I'm finding is there's two types of M/M romances; one that is making a point that these is about two gay guys or one that is just a love story. And Leveled is definitely a love story. Which is what I wanted. Lando and Dom are so sweet and hot together. And for the most part honest as they work out their own heads. They are definitely one of my favourite Crownover couples now.


Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli *****(re-read)
I just needed some happy fuzzy feelings. For a few hours at least. And Simon always gives me those.


The Iron Warrior(The Iron Fey:Call of the Forgotten #3) by Julie Kagawa ****.5
Well that's that; seven books and the series if finally done. And a pretty solid ending at that. I will easily admit that the original half of the series is my favourite, but Ethan added a fun and amusing element to his end of the series. I of course wanted to see how it would all end, but what I most loved was seeing all my favourite characters come together to succeed. Especially Ash. I missed him the most. It was a bit to much of a HEA. But I guess that's better than the alternative. What makes me the happiest is that in the acknowledgments Kagawa says that no door is ever closed. So that makes me very hopeful to see more of The Iron Fey in the future.


Dangerous Lies by Becca Fitzpatrick **
Review to come next week.


A photo posted by Brittany (@britsreadinglife) on



A photo posted by Brittany (@britsreadinglife) on


A photo posted by Brittany (@britsreadinglife) on


What did you guys read this week?

Happy reading!

Brittany

1 comment:

  1. Oh how I wish I could read as much/as fast as you! I'm so jealous! And I'm super excited to get my copy of November 9 tomorrow. I imagine it will be waiting for me when I get home from the office. Great way to end the day! :)

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete