Saturday 28 May 2016

Weekly Wrap-Up May 21st-27th


This week I managed to finish seven books. Five of them physical books, three being ARC's. And two e-books, one being an e-ARC.


Some Kind of Perfect(Calloway Sisters #4.5) by Krista & Becca Ritchie *****
Perfection.
10 books. 6 phenomenal characters. And this is it. SKoP is beyond satisfying and the most beautiful wrap-up to one of my ultimate favourite series. My love for these characters and their lives knows no bounds. The ups and downs. The highs and lows. I felt them all like I was right there in each and every moment. Reading that last chapter, knowing that's the end, had my heart breaking for my happiness. 
SKoP is also that perfect bridge into Damaged Like Us. Which means it's only c'ya later and not goodbye to Lily, Lo, Rose, Connor, Daisy, Ryke and ALL the kids.


The Loose Ends List by Carrie Firestone ****
Review to come.

Cream of the Crop(Hudson Valley #2) by Alice Clayton ****.5
Review to come.

Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson ****
Suuuuuppppeeerrr cute summery read. 
I love how even with the romance floating through the story, Morgan Matson really focuses on friendship and being comfortable with you are. In this case Emily is the definition of shy and with her best friend Sloane gone she figures she's in for one lonely summer. Obviously that turns out not to be the case, Emily slowly starts to break out her shell well making friends with some unlikely allies. 
The flashbacks to some key moments in Emily and Sloane's friendship shows how Sloane was the driving force. And well I thought their friendship seemed pretty solid I was happy to see Emily become herself without Sloane. There was the Emily Sloane was trying to groom her to become and than there was the real Emily. Still shy but comfortable and secure without being timid. 
And Frank, perfect geeky good guy. Collins the comedian. Dawn was a great girl until she wasn't. Her actions at the end of the book were shady. 
All in all a fun read.

Breathe, Annie, Breathe(Hundred Oaks #6) by Miranda Kenneally ***
Breath, Annie, Breathe was a quick satisfying read. Although not so light and fluffy I think it dealt with grieve in a realistic way. 
The untimely death of Annie's long term boyfriend left her with a lot of guilt. Which left her feeling like the only thing she could do was train to run in the marathon Annie's boyfriend will never get to do. Annie putting most of her focus into training to run this marathon was super inspiring. I'm a runner, but a lazy one. This book was a continuous kick to my butt to get off my ass and go for that run. I liked how Annie used running to help her grieve. It also gave her a way to meet new people, like Jere. The relationships, familial and friendship, were pretty positive. 
There were a few things holding me back from loving the book. Ultimately there was nothing phenomenal with the writing or story. It was just good. The banter between Annie and Jere felt more forced than cute. Which leads me to Annie's treatment towards Jere. I can understand the hot and cold, since you know her boyfriends not been gone even a year. But she leads him on way too much. And than she thinks it's perfectly right of her to expect him to not be himself(he's an extreme sports kind of guy; always sporting bruises and such) because she needs him to be safe. It was super hypocritical of her and flat out annoying. Poor guy. 
Good book and my first taste of Kenneally. I'll definitely be checking out another book in this series.

Gemina(The Illuminae Files #2) by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff *****
Holy shit! That was even more intense and insane than Illuminae. Mind = blown. 
Hanna and Nik are as amazing as Kady and Ezra. Just everything is ridiculously perfect. 
I cannot wait to have the finished copy; seeing the finished illustrations will add even more to the story. 
And now I somehow wait a year and half for the finale. How does one do that without going insane?

All In(The Naturals #3) by Jennifer Lynn Barnes *****
Guys, this was soooooooooo good. My head is all over the place. What is even happening. Barnes is a genius with the way she weaves story lines, multiple story lines, crimes, pasts, emotions, relationships. There is so much happening but it all works together to bring this intense mind fuck. Where we are in Cassie's story now is just wow. How did that even happen? Brilliant. 






A photo posted by Brittany (@britsreadinglife) on

A photo posted by Brittany (@britsreadinglife) on

A photo posted by Brittany (@britsreadinglife) on

A photo posted by Brittany (@britsreadinglife) on

A photo posted by Brittany (@britsreadinglife) on

A photo posted by Brittany (@britsreadinglife) on



What did you guys read this week?

Happy reading!

Brittany

7 comments:

  1. Nice reading week! I've been avoiding SKoP spoilers like crazy. I considered turning off my notification for the Fizzle Force group but didn't. I know the admins are being great about deleting spoiler posts but I'm still cautious about what I read. I finished FtF so now I just need to get to LWD. I'm dragging this out as long as I can. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't drag it out forever! Lol.
      I'm not super active on Facebook, but I haven't seen any spoilers. And really. it's not even been two weeks since it has been released, so that's not a lot of time for people to get and read the book. I mean everyone can't be reading machines. ;)

      Delete
    2. LOL No, not everyone can be reading machines... just you and Sarah. :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear that Gemina was good! I'm looking forward to that one and I love that it's set on the space station that Kady and Ezra were trying to get to. Can't wait to see what happens next. And The Loose Ends List- don't know anything about that one but love that bright, summery cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you'll love it. It's everything Illuminae is with new characters.
      The cover is gorgeous. You should check it out naked, the hardcover is gorgeous too.

      Delete
  4. If you would like an alternative to casually flirting with girls and trying to find out the right thing to do...

    If you'd rather have women hit on YOU, instead of spending your nights prowling around in filthy bars and nightclubs...

    Then I encourage you to view this eye-opening video to unveil a amazing little secret that has the potential to get you your very own harem of hot women just 24 hours from now:

    FACEBOOK SEDUCTION SYSTEM!!!

    ReplyDelete